- The Executive Board (CvB) is responsible for the management and administration of the University as a whole. Members of the Executive Board are:
- Rector Magnificus & President: Carel Stolker
- Vice-Rector Magnificus: Hester Bijl
- Deputy Chariman: Willem te Beest
- The Board of Governors (Raad van Toezicht) supervises the management and administration of the University.
- The University Council (Universiteitsraad) is the central co-participation body for the University.
- The Leiden University Student Platform (Leids Universiteir Studentenplatform) is an independent advisory body to the Executive Board on student and teacahing matters.
- The Governing Council comprises the Executive Board and the Deans of the Faculties. Within the Governing Council, the Deans contribute to the management of the University as a whole.
- Under the chairmanship of the Rector Magnificus, the Deans make up the Council of Deans (RvD). The Council of Deans also acts as Doctorate Board (CvP) and in this capacity is authorised to confer the degree of doctorate.
The faculties have primary responsibility for teaching and research. Leiden University has 7 faculties:
- Governance and Global Affairs
- Social and Behavioural Sciences
In addition to the Faculties there is one further bodies with teaching and research responsibilities:
Within Leiden University, a distinction is made between direct (staff) support to the Executive Board and support to the University organisation as a whole. The Administration and Central Services department (BB) focuses on direct support to the Executive Board in managing the affairs of the University. The Centres of Expertise carry out duties on behalf of those bodies with management responsibilities (Executive Board, Faculties). The Centres of Expertise are:
- Student and Educational Affairs (SEA)
- ICT Shared Service Centre (ISSC)
- Leiden University Research and Innovation Services (LURIS, in co-operation with the LUMC)
- General Services Department (UFB)
- University Library (UB)
- Real Estate
Health, Safety and Environment Department (VGM, in co-operation with the LUMC)
The Executive Board is responsible for the management and administration of the University as a whole and is accountable to the Board of Governors.
Each faculty has a Faculty Board chaired by the Dean of the faculty. The Executive Board has regular meetings with the Board of Deans on matters of university policy.